Safety Tips: Volleyball
en español: Consejos de seguridad: el voleibol
Volleyball is among the safest sports out there, but injuries can happen. To keep things as safe as possible while playing volleyball, follow these tips.
Safe Volleyball Gear
Use the right gear:
- Knee pads to protect the knees when sliding or falling.
- Padded shorts to protect the hips when diving for a ball.
- Other pads and braces such as elbow or forearm pads, ankle or wrist braces, or thumb splints.
- Volleyball shoes for good traction on gym floors and extra padding for comfort.
- Mouthguards to protect the teeth, lips, cheeks, and tongue.
- Prescription goggles for players who wear glasses and shatterproof sunglasses when playing outside.
- Athletic supporters for guys and sports bras for girls for support and comfort.
Safe Volleyball Training
To prevent injuries during training, players should:
- Get a sports physical before starting any training program.
- Be in good shape before playing volleyball.
- Always warm up and stretch before practice and matches.
- Use proper technique. If there are concerns about technique, a trained instructor can help.
- Stop training if they get injured or feel pain. They need to get checked by an athletic trainer, coach, doctor, or nurse before going back on the court.
- Play different sports throughout the year to prevent overuse injuries.
Date reviewed: March 2019