How Can I Protect My Family From Ticks?
Enjoy the great outdoors, but don't forget about the threat of ticks. Ticks can carry several diseases, including Lyme disease.
- Wear light-colored clothing (this can help you see ticks more easily).
- Wear closed shoes or boots, long-sleeve shirts, and pants
- Tuck pant legs into socks or shoes for extra protection.
- Pull long hair back or wear a hat.
- When hiking, stay on trails and avoid bushy areas with tall grass and leaf litter.
- Use an insect repellent with 20% to 30% DEET. Always follow the directions for use carefully.
Inspect your kids everywhere each day for ticks — especially in and behind ears, in the groin area, behind the knees and under the arms. Also remember to inspect pets, clothing, and camping gear, including backpacks and sleeping bags.