Prep time: 40 minutes
What you need:
- 1/2 c. Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 c. Romano cheese
- 8 oz. 99% fat-free boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 breasts)
- flour for coating chicken
- 1 egg
- 4 lemon wedges, optional
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. canola oil, divided
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus
What to do:
- In a shallow dish, mix the breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Sprinkle flour on both sides of each of the chicken breasts.
- Whisk the egg in a medium-sized bowl. Dip both sides of the floured chicken breasts in the whisked egg, and then coat each side with the cheese/breadcrumbs mixture.
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium heat in a skillet and then place the coated chicken breasts in the pan.
- Cook the chicken over medium-high heat until both sides of the chicken are brown and the internal temperature is above 165°F (73°C). Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- To the same skillet, add a tbsp. of water and 1 tsp. of canola oil. Place asparagus into the skillet and cook over medium heat until tender.
- To serve, arrange asparagus on a plate with the chicken. Use lemon wedges to squeeze fresh lemon juice on asparagus and chicken, if desired.
This dish is nicely paired with brown rice or quinoa.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 340 calories
- 29g protein
- 10g fat
- 2g sat. fat
- 34g carbohydrate
- 5g fiber
- 90mg cholesterol
- 150mg sodium
- 3g sugars
Serving: 1/4 of recipe
This recipe has important nutrients for mom and baby, including:
Protein helps build a baby's muscles, bones, and other tissues, especially in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy. The recommended protein intake during the second half of pregnancy and while breastfeeding is 71 grams daily. Healthy sources of protein include lean meat, poultry, fish, beans, peanut butter, eggs, and tofu.