What Other Parents Are Reading
Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who need to consume additional calories to help them meet their nutritional needs.
This easy side dish tastes great when served with turkey, chicken, or beef.
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 2/3 c. water
- 2/3 c. heavy cream
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2/3 c. mashed potato flakes
- 3 tbsp. sour cream
- Combine water, heavy cream, salt, and butter in a microwave-proof bowl.
- Microwave on high setting for approximately 2 minutes. (All microwaves vary and heating times may need to be adjusted.)
- Remove from microwave.
- Stir in potato flakes to moisten.
- Add sour cream and mix well.
Serving size: ½ cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
2 g protein
42 g fat
460 mg sodium
33 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
You can add cheese or gravy to the recipe for even more calories.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012
- Cystic Fibrosis: Diet and Nutrition
- About Recipes for Kids With Cystic Fibrosis
- Mashed Potatoes
- Cystic Fibrosis
Share this page using:
Note: All information on KidsHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.