en español: Seguridad en casa: cómo prevenir los cortes
Here are some important ways to protect kids from injuries from sharp household objects
In the kitchen:
- Keep knives, forks, scissors, and other sharp utensils in a drawer with a safety latch.
- Keep glass objects, such as drinking glasses and bowls, in a high cabinet far from reach.
- Store appliances with sharp blades (like blenders or food processors) far from reach or in a locked cabinet.
- Keep babies and toddlers a safe distance away when you load and unload the dishwasher to prevent them from grabbing sharp utensils or glassware that could break. Use a dishwasher lock at other times.
- If possible, keep the kitchen garbage can behind a cabinet door with a safety latch.
- If you recycle glass and metal in your home, keep the recycling containers far from reach to prevent cuts and possible poisoning from substances still left in containers.
In the living space:
- Make sure that mirrors are securely attached to the wall.
- Keep paper shredders out of the reach of small children.
In the bathroom:
- If you use a razor to shave, keep it in a locked cabinet in the bathroom. Store extra blades in a safe place.
- Keep nail scissors and other sharp personal or grooming instruments out of reach.
In the garage and outside:
- Keep all tools (for gardening, automotive care, yardwork, etc.) out of reach or in locked storage.
- Make sure swing-set and outdoor play equipment is free of rust, splinters, and sharp edges.
If you're expecting a baby or you already have a child, it's a good idea to:
- Learn cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and the Heimlich maneuver.
- Keep important and emergency phone numbers posted where caregivers can see them and add them to your contacts list in your cellphone. These include the toll-free poison-control number (1-800-222-1222), your doctor's number, parents' work and cellphone numbers, neighbor's or nearby relative's number (if you need someone to watch other children in an emergency).
- Make a first-aid kit and keep emergency instructions inside. Refill it as needed.
- Install smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
Date reviewed: February 2019