Prep time: about 30 minutes
What you need:
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1-1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
Equipment and supplies:
- oven (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- small bowl
- mixing spoon
- medium-size bowl
- cutting board, sprinkled with flour
- baking sheet, sprayed with nonstick spray
- measuring cups and spoons
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Put the yeast in a small bowl with the water and honey. Stir a little, then let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix the flour and salt together in a medium bowl.
- After the 5 minutes is up, check on the yeast mixture. It should be bigger than before and a little bubbly. Add this mixture to the flour and salt mixture.
- Stir everything together. Use a spoon to start. Finish with your hands. The dough is ready when it's still a little crumbly and flaky.
- Put the dough on the cutting board and knead it like you are playing with clay. Knead it into one big ball.
- Break off a piece of dough that's about the size of a big gumball or superball. Use your hands to roll it into a skinny snake.
- Twist the snake into a medium-size pretzel shape, and put it on the cookie sheet. Do this with all the dough, making 12 pretzels.
- Bake your pretzels for 10 minutes. Let them cool and take a bite!
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 56 calories
- 1g protein
- 0g fat
- 12g carbohydrate
- 0g fiber
- 0mg cholesterol
- 192mg sodium
Serving size: 1 pretzel
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Date reviewed: January 2023