Mediterranean Pasta Soup
Prep and cook time: 25 minutes
What you need:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 16 ounces chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup uncooked ditalini pasta (short tube-shaped macaroni)
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
What to do:
- Heat olive oil in large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add water and next 6 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook additional 10 minutes, or until pasta is tender but not overcooked.
- Stir in parsley. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 230 calories
- 13g protein
- 3.5g fat
- 0g sat. fat
- 39g carbohydrate
- 8g fiber
- 0mg cholesterol
- 290mg sodium
- 8g sugars
Serving size: 1 cup
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
- Healthy Eating
- Heart and Circulatory System
- Keeping Portions Under Control
- One Formula for a Healthy Lifestyle
- Carbohydrates and Sugar
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Veer, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com.