Mealtime Makeover: Chicken Fingers
Use boneless, skinless chicken with high-fiber cereal and an egg substitute to make a healthier version of this favorite kids' meal. You can make it in batches and freeze it for reheating for future meals. It goes great with a cup of skim milk and cut-up veggies.
Prep time: 10 minutes
What you need:
This Recipe's ingredients:
- 1 4-oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, rinsed, patted dry, and sliced into strips or 4 1-oz. boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- 1/4 c. egg substitute or skim milk
- 1/3 c. flaked, high-fiber cereal, crushed
Traditional Recipe's ingredients:
- 3 oz. cooked chicken fingers, typical fast food preparation
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350º F (176º C).
- Dip chicken strips into egg substitute or skim milk.
- Roll dipped chicken in high-fiber cereal to coat.
- Place coated strips on non-stick baking sheet.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, turning after 9 minutes, until chicken is done (white, not pink, inside).
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 227 calories
- 30g protein
- 3g fat
- 0.8g sat. fat
- 20g carbohydrate
- 8g fiber
- 75mg cholesterol
- 239mg sodium
- 44mg calcium
- 10mg iron
- 185mcg folic acid
- 255 calories
- 15g protein
- 15g fat
- 3g sat. fat
- 15g carbohydrate
- 0g fiber
- 75mg cholesterol
- 670mg sodium
- 2mg calcium
- 4mg iron
- n/a mcg folic acid
Serving size: 1 chicken breast
Note: Analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
- Mealtime Makeover: Grilled Cheese
- Mealtime Makeover: Mac and Cheese
- Mealtime Makeover: Whole-Wheat Pizza
- Cooking With School-Age Kids
- Nutrition & Fitness Center
- Healthy Eating
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Veer, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com.