Sweet Potato Oven Fries
Prep time: 55 minutes
What you need:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (each about 5 inches long and 3 inches wide)
- 4 tsp. dried thyme
- 4 tbsp. canola oil
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into ½-inch strips.
- In a large bowl, toss the potato strips with canola oil and dried thyme.
- Place the coated potato strips in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn potatoes once or twice during cooking to cook evenly.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 160 calories
- 2g protein
- 5g fat
- 0g sat. fat
- 27g carbohydrate
- 4g fiber
- 0mg cholesterol
- 70mg sodium
- 5g sugars
Serving size: About 1/2 cup of fries
This recipe has important nutrients for mom and baby, including:
Vitamin A helps develop a baby's heart, eyes, and immune system. Good sources of vitamin A include milk, orange fruits and vegetables (such as cantaloupe, carrots, and sweet potatoes), and dark leafy greens. Prenatal vitamins should not contain more than 1,500 micrograms (5,000 IU) of vitamin A and pregnant women should not take vitamin A supplements. Both too little and too much vitamin A can harm a developing fetus.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Veer, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com.