Most childhood poisonings happen in the home. They usually can be treated at home with advice from the poison control center. But it's important to know when a poisoning is serious enough to need medical treatment right away.
If your child might have taken a poison and is alert, acting normally, and can breathe well: Get help from the poison control center right away at 1-800-222-1222 or online at Poison Control.
If your child might have taken a poison and is not acting normally, passes out, has a seizure, or has trouble breathing:Call 911 or get emergency medical care right away. Don’t try to make your child vomit or give ipecac. Take the bottle or container of the pills or liquid that your child took to the ER or hospital.