Dictionary: Open-Heart Surgery
Open-heart surgery: surgery that involves opening the chest and heart. A heart–lung machine does the work for the heart and lungs during the procedure.
- Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS)
- Dictionary: Interstage Period
- Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome Surgery: The Fontan Procedure
- Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome Surgery: The Norwood Procedure
- Dictionary: Aorta
- Dictionary: Blalock-Taussig (BT) shunt
- Dictionary: Blood Pressure
- Dictionary: Heart Transplant
- Dictionary: Inferior Vena Cava
- Dictionary: Left Ventricle
- Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome Surgery: The Glenn Procedure
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Veer, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com.