The oil in poison
ivy/oak/sumac plants (called urushiol) can cause an allergic
rash in most people who come into contact with it.
Mild rashes can be treated at home, and mostly cause discomfort from itching, burning,
or blistering. Severe, widespread rashes require medical treatment.
Signs and Symptoms
an itchy red rash that appears within 4 hours to 4 days after touching the plant
blisters that ooze clear fluid
bumps and blisters that may be different sizes and look like streaks on the skin
rash may begin to look crusty as it heals
What to Do
Remove any clothing that has touched the plant or rash and wash all recently worn
Gently wash skin and scrub under fingernails right away with soap and water.
Cut fingernails short to keep your child from breaking the skin when scratching.
Place cool compresses on the skin as needed.
For itching: add oatmeal to the bath; use calamine lotion on the skin (but
not on the face or on the genitals); and, if needed, give your child the
recommended dose of diphenhydramine (Benadryl or a store brand).
Get Medical Care if:
the rash covers a large portion of the body or is on the face or genitals
the rash is getting worse despite home treatment
the skin looks infected (increasing redness, warmth, pain, swelling, or pus)
Get Emergency Medical Care if Your Child:
has a known severe allergy
to poison ivy/oak/sumac
develops swelling of the tongue or throat
complains of chest tightness or trouble breathing
develops large areas of redness or swelling
was given a shot of epinephrine (EpiPen)
Teach kids what poison ivy/oak/sumac plants look like and how important they are
Make sure kids always wear long-sleeved shirts and pants whenever playing close
to these plants.