A to Z: Insect Bites/Stings, Non-Venomous
More to Know
Non-venomous insect bites include those from mosquitoes, fleas, mites, lice, and bedbugs. The bite causes a raised red spot at the site that itches and may blister. If scratched, it can become an open sore with a risk for infection. Allergic reactions also can result from non-venomous insect bites; but, severe reactions are rare.
The bigger concern with non-venomous insects is when they carry diseases, such as mosquitoes that transmit malaria in Africa or ticks that infect people with Lyme disease in parts of the United States.
Non-venomous insect bites can be treated at home with topical ointments (applied to the skin, like calamine lotion), antihistamines, anesthetics, and moderate steroids to reduce itching.
Keep in Mind
Non-venomous bug bites are much milder than venomous bites from insects that inject poisons, like bees, wasps, hornets, or scorpions. Non-venomous bites can be a nuisance, but usually don't cause any serious or lasting health problems.
All A to Z dictionary entries are regularly reviewed by KidsHealth medical experts.
- Bug Bites and Stings
- What to Do About Bug Bites and Stings
- What to Do About Spider Bites
- Are Insect Repellents With DEET Safe for Kids?
- Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
- How Can I Protect My Family From Ticks?
- Lyme Disease
- Insect Sting Allergy
- Hey! A Bedbug Bit Me!
- Hey! A Tarantula Bit Me!
- Hey! A Mosquito Bit Me!
- Hey! A Flea Bit Me!
- Hey! A Brown Recluse Spider Bit Me!
- Hey! A Black Widow Spider Bit Me!
- Hey! A Scorpion Stung Me!
- Hey! A Louse Bit Me!
- Hey! A Bee Stung Me!
- Hey! A Fire Ant Stung Me!
- Hey! A Tick Bit Me!
- What Are Head Lice?