What to Do About Headaches
Headaches usually are brief and can be caused by many things, including too little sleep, eye strain, stress, sinus infections, or a bump to the head. Some headaches last longer and come with other symptoms. Very rarely, headaches can be a sign of something serious.
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Headaches?
The two most common types of headaches in kids and teens are tension headaches and migraine headaches.
Signs of a tension headache:
- a feeling of squeezing or pressure around the front, sides, and back of the head
- dull, steady pain
- pain is not made worse by activity
- no nausea or vomiting
- muscles of the scalp, face, neck, and shoulders may be sore to the touch
Signs of a migraine headache:
- pounding, throbbing pain on one or both sides of the head
- pain is worsened by rapid motion
- dizziness, feeling tired
- nausea, vomiting, belly pain
- seeing spots or halos
- sensitivity to light, noise, and/or smells
What Should I Do About Headaches?
Most headaches respond to home care. To help ease pain, have your child:
- lie down in a dark, quiet room
- drink liquids
- take acetaminophen or ibuprofen as needed
- put a cool, moist cloth across the forehead or eyes
Get Medical Care if the Headaches:
- happen once a month or more
- don't go away easily
- are more painful than usual
- prevent your child from participating in everyday activities
- follow a head injury or loss of consciousness
- come with any of these symptoms:
- decreased alertness or confusion
- fever or lasting vomiting
- changes in vision
- skin rash
- neck pain or stiffness
How Can I Prevent Headaches?
Some types of headaches can be prevented by avoiding certain things that can cause them, such as getting too little sleep, some medicines, not drinking enough liquids, and using the computer or watching TV for a long time.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Veer, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com.