Asthma: What to Know
Asthma doesn't have to slow kids down. With the right care and daily management, your child can stay active and enjoy being a kid.
Does My Child Have Asthma?
Find out about flare-ups
Learn about different types of coughs
What's a spirometry test?
How Do I Control It?
Learn how to manage asthma
Know about asthma triggers
Figure out your child's medicines
What Should I Do Every Day?
Follow your child's asthma action plan
Printable action plan
How to use asthma devices
Talking About Asthma
Talking about health with kids helps them learn. Even young kids can play a role in their asthma care.
Our video for kids shows them how their lungs work.
Older kids love to learn about how the body works. They can watch our video to learn more about lungs and breathing. Plus, we have an asthma site just for kids!
Lungs & respiratory system movie
From sports to school, teens spend a lot of time away from your watchful eye. Share the link below to remind teens how daily routines help them manage asthma.
How Asthma Affects the Airways
Watch what happens in the lungs during an asthma flare-up.
Frequently Asked Questions
Allergies don't cause asthma. But when kids already have asthma, having allergies can sometimes make their asthma symptoms worse.
Learn how you can help
The effect of skipping medicine depends on what kind of medicine it is.
Some flare-ups are mild, but others can be life-threatening. Know how to spot them and deal with them right away.
See what to do
Learning to swallow a pill takes practice. Teach your child at the right time and in the right way to make it a positive experience that builds your child's confidence.
A peak flow meter is a portable handheld device used to measure how well a person with asthma can blow air out of their lungs.
Asthma Words to Know
- Definition: Airway Obstruction
- Definition: Allergen
- Definition: Allergy-Triggered Asthma
- Definition: Animal Dander
- Definition: Asthma
- Definition: Asthma Action Plan
- Definition: Asthma Flare-Up
- Definition: Bronchial Tubes
- Definition: Bronchoconstriction
- Definition: Bronchodilator
- Definition: Corticosteroids
- Definition: Dust Mites
- Definition: Exercise-Induced Asthma
- Definition: Histamine
- Definition: Immunoglobulin (IgE)
- Definition: Immunotherapy
- Definition: Inhaler
- Definition: Long-Term Control Medicines
- Definition: Lung Function Tests
- Definition: Nebulizer
- Definition: Pollen
- Definition: Quick-Relief Medicines
- Definition: Retractions
- Definition: Spacer
- Definition: Spirometer
- Definition: Sulfites
- Definition: Triggers
- Definition: Wheezing
- What's a Peak Flow Meter?
- What's an Asthma Action Plan?