Pepper & Onion Frittata
Note: Frittatas can be served hot or cold, so enjoy it warm for dinner and pack it cold for lunch. Get a grownup's help with this recipe, which requires using the oven/stove and chopping with a knife.
Prep time: 25 minutes
What you need:
- 3 egg whites
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
Equipment and supplies
- Bowl (for mixing)
- Cutting board
- 10- to 12-inch nonstick, oven-safe skillet (This means it's OK to put it in the oven. Ask an adult if you're not sure.)
What to do:
- Set the oven to broil. Careful, this is a hot-hot setting!
- Wrap handle of skillet with nonstick aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, salt, and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in the nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add sliced peppers and onions and cook until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Pour egg mixture over the peppers and onions and stir gently with a rubber spatula. Cook for 2–3 minutes, just until eggs begin to set on the bottom.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Use an oven mitten to transfer the skillet in to the broiler. Broil for 3-4 minutes. The cheese should bubble and the frittata should be "set." That means it's not liquid and jiggly anymore.
- Remove pan from the oven and allow to cool for a minute before slicing into 6 wedges. Serve.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 90 calories
- 7g protein
- 5g fat
- 1.5g sat. fat
- 3g carbohydrate
- 1g fiber
- 105mg cholesterol
- 290mg sodium
- 2g sugars
Serving size: 1 wedge (1/6 of frittata)
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.