Senses Experiment: Mystery Smells
You can recognize a lot of different smells. How many? Try this and see.
- A grown-up to help
- A friend or two
- A blindfold
- Small, lidded containers that you can't see through
- Smelly stuff, such as lemons, bananas, orange peel, pine needles, a cotton ball soaked in perfume, chocolate, coffee, dirt, vanilla, garlic, onion, mint, vinegar, rose petals, pencil shavings, or ginger
- Have a grown-up poke small holes in the container lids.
- Put one "smelly" object in each container.
- Write a number on the side of each container.
- Tape a label to the bottom of each container to say what's inside.
- Blindfold your friend and have him or her smell each container.
- Write down the number of the container and your friend's guess about what's inside. Are the answers right? Which are good smells? Which are gross?
Reviewed by: Eric H. Chudler, PhD