Bean and Corn Salsa
Prep time: 10 minutes
Recipe makes: 10 servings
What you need:
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, defrosted
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced chilies (optional)
- 2 whole-wheat pitas
Equipment and supplies:
- Knife and cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large bowl for mixing
What to do:
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Toast the pita.
- Serve each ½ cup portion with ¼ of a pita.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 10 calories
- 5g protein
- 1g fat
- 1g sat. fat
- 20g carbohydrate
- 4g fiber
- 0mg cholesterol
- 170mg sodium
- 2g sugars
Serving size: 1/2 cup salsa and 1/4 pita
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Veer, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com.