Note: This recipe is especially for teens with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
The peppers, herbs and spices season the rice nicely. This fat free and lactose free side dish can be served with practically anything.
Prep time: 35 minutes
What you need:
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons jalapeño peppers, finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- salt to taste (optional)
What to do:
- Spray saucepan with nonstick butter spray.
- Sauté onion and garlic in saucepan until tender.
- Add rice, jalapeños, broth, and cumin to saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Add salt to taste (optional).
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 119 calories
- 2g protein
- 0g fat
- 0g sat fat
- 27g carbohydrate
- 0g fiber
- 0mg cholesterol
- 375mg sodium
- 8mg calcium
- 1mg iron
Serving size: approximately 2/3 cups (2 carbohydrate exchanges)
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
If you would like this dish spicier, add more jalapeños. If you think this is too spicy, then put in only 1 tbsp. jalapeños. Serve with beans or meat.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Veer, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com.