Balsamic Tomato Chicken and Pasta
Note: This recipe is especially for teens with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
Your taste buds will really enjoy this flavorful, lactose-free dish. Serve with a side of garlic bread and your favorite vegetable.
Prep time: 45 minutes
What you need:
- 18 ounces chicken breast, cut into small pieces (½" square)
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces) diced tomato
- 1-1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- cooking spray
- 3-1/3 cups cooked pasta
What to do:
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Sauté onion, garlic, and mushrooms for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Add chicken pieces to skillet and cook over medium high heat until no longer pink.
- Once chicken is cooked, add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, and dried herbs to the chicken mixture.
- Mix together well and simmer over medium low heat for 20 minutes.
- For each serving, top 2/3 cup of cooked pasta with 1 cup of chicken and sauce.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 434 calories
- 37g protein
- 4g fat
- 64g carbohydrate
- 3g fiber
- 125mg cholesterol
- 552mg sodium
- 88mg calcium
- 6.4mg iron
Serving size: 1 cup of sauce with 2/3 cup of cooked pasta
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
- Use low-sodium canned tomatoes and tomato paste if want to decrease the amount of sodium.
- Add soy cheeses, such as mozzarella or parmesan.
- If you want a thicker sauce, add more tomato paste.
- If you want a thinner sauce, use less tomato paste.