Bites from non-venomous
insects are the result of an insect attempting to feed on a person's blood.
Non-venomous means the insect doesn't inject poisons into the person's body through
More to Know
Non-venomous insect bites include those from mosquitoes, fleas, mites, lice, and
bedbugs. The bite causes a raised red spot at the site that itches and may blister.
If scratched, it can become an open sore with a risk for infection. Allergic
reactions also can result from non-venomous insect bites; but, severe reactions
The bigger concern with non-venomous insects is when they carry diseases, such
as mosquitoes that transmit malaria in Africa or ticks that infect people with Lyme disease in parts of the United
Non-venomous insect bites can be treated at home with topical ointments (applied
to the skin, like calamine lotion), antihistamines, anesthetics, and moderate steroids
to reduce itching.
Keep in Mind
Non-venomous bug bites are much milder than venomous bites from insects that inject
poisons, like bees, wasps, hornets, or scorpions. Non-venomous bites can be a
nuisance, but usually don't cause any serious or lasting health problems.
All A to Z dictionary entries are regularly reviewed by KidsHealth medical