Asthma Week 4: How to Avoid Triggers
Do you know what causes or "triggers" your child's asthma flare-ups? Maybe it's air pollution, allergies, or the weather. And even though exercise can be good for kids with asthma, it can sometimes trigger a flare-up.
Avoiding triggers can help prevent flare-ups. Here are some ways to create an asthma-safe home:
- Close windows and run air conditioning in warm weather.
- Use mattress covers on your child's bed.
- Keep pets away from your child's room.
- Vacuum and dust often, and remove carpets.
- Don't allow cigarette smoking or wood-burning fires.
To reduce exposure to outdoor triggers:
- Avoid outdoor play when pollen counts or mold counts are high.
- Have kids bathe or shower and change clothes after being outside.
- Don't let your child mow the grass or rake leaves.
You can't get rid of all triggers. But you can do a lot to reduce your child's exposure to them. If you're not sure what causes your child's asthma flare-ups, ask your doctor.
See some common asthma triggers and how to deal with them.
This publication was made possible by Grant 1C1CMS331017 from the Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. The contents of this newsletter are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the Department of Health and Human Services or any of its agencies.
- Do Allergies Cause Asthma?
- Smoking and Asthma
- Can the Weather Affect My Child's Asthma?
- Asthma Triggers
- Asthma Center
- Dealing With Triggers: Mold
- Dealing With Triggers: Pollen
- Dealing With Triggers: Irritants
- Dealing With Triggers: Cockroaches
- Word! Asthma Flare-Up
- Dealing With Asthma Triggers
- Handling an Asthma Flare-Up
- Your House: How to Make It Asthma-Safe
- Asthma Center
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Veer, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com.