Prep time: 5 to 10 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Recipe makes: 4 servings
What you need:
- 1 32-ounce box of low-sodium vegetable broth (non-vegetarians can use low-sodium chicken stock)
- 2 10-ounce packages of sliced baby bella or shitake mushrooms
- 2 large stalks celery, washed
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 cup 1% milk, optional (can also use skim milk)
Equipment and supplies:
- Knife and cutting board
- Medium to large pot
- Measuring spoons and cups
What to do:
- Cut celery and onion into small pieces.
- Pour broth into a medium pot and set heat to medium. Add celery, mushrooms, and onion. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Remove 2 cups of soup from the pot and place it into the blender. Add milk, if using. Be careful when blending hot liquids — make sure the lid is on tightly and that you hold it down with your hand using a kitchen towel.
- Pour the blended soup back into the pot with the rest of the soup. Stir and continue to cook for 2 minutes more. Serve.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 70 calories
- 7g protein
- 0.5g fat
- 0g sat. fat
- 11g carbohydrate
- 2g fiber
- 0mg cholesterol
- 120mg sodium
- 5g sugars
Serving size:1 1/2 cup
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Veer, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com.