Mediterranean Pasta Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes, total
Recipe makes: 8 servings
What you need:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (non-vegetarians can use low-sodium chicken broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- ½ cup dilatini pasta (short tube-shaped macaroni)
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
Equipment and supplies:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large pot for cooking
What to do:
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add the water, low-sodium broth, cumin, cinnamon, pepper, garbanzo beans, and canned tomatoes with their juice. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the pasta and stir, then cook for 10 minutes longer or until pasta is al dente (tender but still firm).
- Stir in the chopped parsley. Serve hot.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 140 calories
- 6g protein
- 3g fat
- 0g sat. fat
- 22g carbohydrate
- 1g fiber
- 0mg cholesterol
- 250mg sodium
- 2g sugars
Serving size: 1 cup
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Veer, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com.