Mediterranean Chicken and Couscous Salad
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time (for couscous): 5-10 minutes
Recipe makes: 6 servings
What you need:
- 2 c. couscous (whole-wheat, if possible)
- 2 c. low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/8 c. olive oil
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 c. parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 c. kalamata olives
- 1-1/2 c. cooked chicken breast
- 2 tbs. capers
Equipment and supplies:
- Medium saucepan with lid
- Knife and cutting board
- Large mixing bowl
What to do:
- Bring chicken stock to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in couscous, place lid on the pan, remove it from the heat, and allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes while you make the dressing.
- Mince the garlic and finely chop the parsley. Dice the chicken breast and chop the olives.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, pepper, parsley, and garlic. Stir in olives, chicken, and capers.
- Using a fork, fluff up the couscous to loosen it a bit before adding it to the dressing mixture. Gently toss the salad until the couscous is well coated in the dressing. Serve.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 340 calories
- 21g protein
- 7g fat
- 1g sat. fat
- 51g carbohydrate
- 8g fiber
- 30mg cholesterol
- 180mg sodium
- 2g sugars
Serving size:1/2 to 3/4 cup
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Veer, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com.