Crock-Pot Chicken Bolognese Sauce
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 4–5 hours
Recipe makes: 4–6 servings
What you need:
- 1 lb. ground chicken breast
- 1 can (28 ozs.) unsalted crushed tomatoes
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c. unsalted tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp. salt substitute
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2/3 c. water
Equipment and supplies:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 4–6 quart slow cooker
- Large pot for cooking pasta
What to do:
- In the slow cooker, combine ground chicken, crushed tomatoes, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, tomato paste, bay leaves, salt, crushed red pepper flakes, and water. Using a wooden spatula, break up the ground chicken and mix it into the sauce and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on high until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through, about 4–5 hours.
- Cook your favorite whole-wheat pasta according to the packet instructions. Drain and serve 1/2 cup of cooked pasta topped with 1/2 cup of sauce.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 360 calories
- 27g protein
- 10g fat
- 2.5g sat. fat
- 41g carbohydrate
- 10g fiber
- 100mg cholesterol
- 150mg sodium
- 13g sugars
Serving size: 1/2 cup of sauce over 1/2 cup cooked whole-wheat pasta
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Veer, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com.