In this section
Make an Appointment
Talk to Your Child
Talking about health with kids helps them learn. Even young kids can start playing a role in their asthma care, setting the foundation for good habits later.
Help little kids find out how their lungs work by watching this video together. As they learn, kids are better able to let you know when asthma flares up. This can help them feel more at ease.
From sports to school, teens spend a lot of time away from your watchful eye. Share the link below to remind teens how daily routines help them manage asthma.
How Asthma Affects the Airways
Watch what happens in the lungs during an asthma flare-up.
Frequently Asked Questions
During the coronavirus pandemic, it's especially important to help protect kids with asthma from having flare-ups. Keep taking care of your child's asthma. This keeps your child's lungs healthy. That way, if an infection happens, it will be easier for your child to get better.
Allergies don't cause asthma. But when kids already have asthma, having allergies can sometimes make their asthma symptoms worse.
Learn how you can help
The effect of skipping medicine depends on what kind of medicine it is.
Some flare-ups are mild, but others can be life-threatening. Know how to spot them and deal with them right away.
See what to do
Learning to swallow a pill takes practice. Teach your child at the right time and in the right way to make it a positive experience that builds your child's confidence.
A peak flow meter is a portable handheld device used to measure how well a person with asthma can blow air out of their lungs.
Asthma Words to Know
- Definition: Airway Obstruction
- Definition: Allergen
- Definition: Allergy-Triggered Asthma
- Definition: Animal Dander
- Definition: Asthma
- Definition: Asthma Action Plan
- Definition: Asthma Flare-Up
- Definition: Bronchial Tubes
- Definition: Bronchoconstriction
- Definition: Bronchodilator
- Definition: Corticosteroids
- Definition: Cough
- Definition: Dust Mites
- Definition: Exercise-Induced Asthma
- Definition: Histamine
- Definition: Immunoglobulin (IgE)
- Definition: Immunotherapy
- Definition: Inhaler
- Definition: Long-Term Control Medicines
- Definition: Lung Function Tests
- Definition: Nebulizer
- Definition: Pollen
- Definition: Quick-Relief Medicines
- Definition: Retractions
- Definition: Spacer
- Definition: Spirometer
- Definition: Sulfites
- Definition: Triggers
- Definition: Wheezing
- What's a Peak Flow Meter?
- What's an Asthma Action Plan?