Prep time: about 30 minutes
What you need:
- 1 tbsp. yeast
- 1/2 c. warm water
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1-1/3 c. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 325° F (165° C).
- Put the yeast in a small bowl with the water and honey. Stir a little, then let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix the flour and salt together in a medium-size bowl.
- After the 5 minutes is up, check on the yeast mixture. It should be bigger than before and a little bubbly. Add this mixture to the flour and salt mixture.
- Stir everything together. Use a spoon to start. Finish with your hands. The dough is ready when it's still a little crumbly and flaky.
- Sprinkle flour on a cutting board. Put the dough on the cutting board and knead it like you are playing with clay. Knead it into one big ball.
- Break off a piece of dough that's about the size of a big gumball or superball. Use your hands to roll it into a skinny snake.
- Twist the snake into a medium-size pretzel shape, and put it on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Do this with all the dough, making 12 pretzels.
- Bake your pretzels for 10 minutes. Let them cool and take a bite!
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 56 calories
- 1g protein
- 0g fat
- 12g carbohydrate
- 0g fiber
- 0mg cholesterol
- 192mg sodium
- 2mg calcium
- 0.7mg iron
Serving size: 1 pretzel
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Veer, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com.