Crock-Pot Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 7 hours
Recipe makes: 4 servings
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 cup skim milk (or milk substitute, such as almond or soy milk)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped nuts
Equipment and supplies:
- Slow cooker
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Place oats, milk, water, applesauce, and cinnamon into the slow cooker. Stir, cover, and set to low.
- Cook for 7 hours. (See tip below if you are cooking overnight.)
- Top each serving with 1 tablespoon of the nuts and enjoy! You can also top your oatmeal with 1 tablespoon of raisins, but this will increase the amount of sugar you're eating.
Tip: You can make this recipe in advance and refrigerate it for later use. It will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days. If the oatmeal is refrigerated or if it cooks longer than 7 hours, it will firm up. To bring back its creamy consistency, simply add ½ cup of low-fat milk or water for every cup of cooked oatmeal. Stir until it loosens up and microwave it for 1-2 minutes to make it hot again.
Share this page using:
Note: All information on TeensHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.