Kale and White Bean Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Recipe makes: About 4 servings
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 2 carrots
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 boxes (32 oz. each) unsalted or low-sodium chicken stock (for non-vegetarians) or vegetable stock
- 1½ cups kale, roughly chopped into ½-inch strips
- 2 c. cooked cannellini beans (freshly cooked or low-sodium canned, rinsed and drained)
- ¼ c. Parmesan cheese
Equipment and Supplies:
- Knife and cutting board
- Large stock (soup) pot
- Peel and cut carrots and onion into small pieces. Mince garlic.
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Cook carrots and onion until they begin to soften, about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 3 seconds more.
- Pour in stock and bring to a boil. Adjust the heat so that the soup remains at a steady simmer (not a roiling boil) and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in beans and kale and cook for another 5 minutes. Serve.
Reviewed by: Meredith Parkinson, RD
Share this page using:
Note: All information on TeensHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.