Vegetable Skillet Frittata
Note: This recipe is especially for teens with diabetes, but can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1½ c. hash browns
- 1½ c. egg whites
- ½ c. onion, chopped
- ½ c. red pepper, chopped
- 1 c. broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
- ¾ c. light cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp. margarine
- Preheat broiler.
- Wrap handle of skillet with nonstick aluminum foil.
- In skillet, sauté vegetables and hash browns in 1 tbsp. light margarine over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Spread hash browns and vegetables evenly in skillet.
- Pour egg whites into skillet over the hash browns and vegetables.
- Cook until eggs are almost set.
- Top with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted.
Serving size: ¼ of 10" skillet
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
10 g protein
9 g fat
5 g sat. fat
17 g carbohydrate
2 g fiber
22 mg cholesterol
340 mg sodium
177 mg calcium
1.2 mg iron
1½ carbohydrate exchanges
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Use fresh or frozen vegetables (make sure to thaw them first). Add ½ cup of leftover ham, chicken, or turkey to increase the amount of protein.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012
Share this page using:
Note: All information on TeensHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.