Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for teens with cystic fibrosis (CF), who often need to consume additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This mashed potatoes recipe is untraditional — and delicious! It's also packed with plenty of calcium to maximize bone density.
Prep time: 45 minutes
- 4 c. prepared instant potatoes
- 1½ c. shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ c. sour cream
- ¾ c. parmesan cheese
- 9 slices of bacon, fried and crumbled
- ¼ c. onion, chopped finely
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 clove of garlic
- ¼ c. butter, melted
- ¼ c. grated parmesan cheese
- 3 slices bacon, crumbled
- 1 c. dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- In a large bowl, mix together mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese, bacon, onion, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Place potato mixture in a greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- To make the topping, place the melted butter, parmesan cheese, bacon, and bread crumbs in another bowl and mix well.
- Spread topping mixture over potato mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Serving size: ¾ cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
15 g protein
24 g fat
311 mg calcium
896 mg sodium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012
Share this page using:
Note: All information on TeensHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.