Is it OK to Have a Discharge After Getting Your Period?
Is it normal to still have a discharge even after a girl starts her period?
Yes. Discharge helps clean and moisten the vagina as well as prevent and fight infection. Normal discharge can vary in texture and color depending on where a girl is in her menstrual cycle.
There are times when discharge can be a sign of a problem, though. See your doctor if you notice any of the following:
- discharge that is brownish, greenish, or grayish in color
- discharge that looks like pus
- discharge that looks like cottage cheese
- discharge that looks foamy
- discharge that has a strong or unpleasant fishy smell
- burning, swelling, itching, or redness along with the discharge
- pain in the pelvis or belly
Otherwise, don't worry about discharge — it's normal and healthy!
Reviewed by: Julia Brown Lancaster, MSN, WHNP-BC
Date reviewed: January 2015
*Names have been changed to protect user privacy.
Share this page using:
Note: All information on TeensHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.