What Other Parents Are Reading
Note: This recipe is especially for kids with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
Prep time: 60 minutes
- ¾ c. onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. basil
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 1½ c. zucchini, chopped finely
- ½ c. yellow squash, chopped finely
- 1 c. carrots, finely chopped
- 42-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 can (16 oz.) light red kidney beans, drained
- 2 cans (16 oz.) dark red kidney beans, drained
- 8 oz. soy cheddar cheese
- In a large stockpot, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil. Cook until soft (several minutes).
- Add chili powder, basil, oregano, and cumin to the stockpot and mix.
- Stir in zucchini, squash, and carrots and blend well. Cook 1-2 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and kidney beans.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until thick.
- Before serving, add 1 oz. of soy cheddar cheese to each serving of chili.
Serving size: 1 c. of chili and 1 oz. of cheese
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
19 g protein
0 g sat. fat
43 g carbohydrate
13 g fiber
0 mg cholesterol
1,111 mg sodium
482 mg calcium
3.2 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Rinse the dark red kidney beans thoroughly and use low-sodium tomatoes to reduce the sodium content. Freeze leftovers in 1-c. servings to eat at a later date (do not add cheese before freezing). Sprinkle pepper and more onions on top for added flavor.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012
Share this page using:
Note: All information on KidsHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.