What Other Parents Are Reading
Mealtime Makeover: Peanut Butter & Jelly
Whole-wheat bread and 100% fruit spread pack more fiber into this sandwich. Use fortified bread for added calcium. Serve with a glass of skim milk, a side of apple slices, grapes, or carrot sticks, and you have a healthy meal.
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 2 slices whole-wheat or whole-grain bread (at least 3 grams of fiber per slice)
- 2 tbsp soy nut butter (no sugar added)
- 1 tbsp 100% fruit spread
- 2 slices white bread
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp jelly
- Spread nut butter on one slice bread.
- Spread jelly on top of nut butter.
- Top with other slice of bread.
Serving size: 1 sandwich
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
|This Recipe||Traditional Recipe|
|362 calories||386 calories|
|14 g protein||12 g protein|
|14 g fat||18g fat|
|1.5 g sat. fat||3 g sat. fat|
|45 g carbohydrate||44 g carbohydrate|
|11 g fiber||3 g fiber|
|0 mg cholesterol||0 mg cholesterol|
|500 mg sodium||430 mg sodium|
|360 mg calcium||69 mg calcium|
|7 mg iron||2 mg iron|
|120 mcg folic acid||80 mcg folic acid|
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Try natural peanut butter (no sugar added) instead of soy nut butter. Substitute honey for the fruit spread and top with sliced bananas. You can decrease calories and sugar by 30 calories and 8 grams, respectively, by using a sugar-free jelly.
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Date reviewed: May 2011
- Nutrition & Fitness Center
- Healthy Eating
- Mealtime Makeover: Chicken Fingers
- Mealtime Makeover: Mac and Cheese
- Mealtime Makeover: Whole-Wheat Pizza
- Mealtime Makeover: Grilled Cheese
Share this page using:
Note: All information on KidsHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.