What Other Parents Are Reading
Chicken With Beans and Rice
Note: This recipe is especially for kids with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
This meal is a good source of protein and fiber. It tastes even better the next day!
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 16 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and in bite-size pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ c. salsa
- 15-oz. can black beans, drained
- ½ c. red pepper, chopped
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ¼ c. onion, minced
- 2 tbsp. canned hot chili peppers, minced
- 2 c. cooked instant rice
- Mix together all ingredients, except rice, in a skillet.
- Simmer on top of stove for 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
Serving size: 4 ounces of chicken and 1-1/3 cups of beans and rice mixture
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
2 g fat
1 g sat fat
36 g protein
46 g carbohydrate
9 g fiber
66 mg cholesterol
558 mg sodium
58 mg calcium
3.8 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
This can be served with yellow or brown rice. Consider sprinkling soy cheddar cheese over the top of this dish.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012
- Chicken With Beans and Rice
- Lactose Intolerance
- Food Allergies
- About Recipes for Kids With Lactose Intolerance
Share this page using:
Note: All information on KidsHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.