What Other Parents Are Reading
Fortified Mashed Potatoes
Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant and breastfeeding women, but can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 35 minutes (includes cooking time)
- 2 lbs. baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 c. whole milk
- ¼ c. nonfat dry milk
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until tender (about 15 minutes) and drain.
- Whisk dry milk into whole milk until dissolved.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter over low heat until butter is melted.
- In a large bowl, using a potato masher or an electric mixer, combine milk mixture and potatoes until smooth.
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
9 g protein
8 g fat
5 g sat. fat
52 g carbohydrate
4 g fiber
23 mg cholesterol
78 mg sodium
176 mg calcium
1 mg iron
27 mcg folic acid
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding women:
This recipe is great for boosting calories during pregnancy and breastfeeding. It also contains a good amount of calcium.
Reviewed by: Steven Dowshen, MD
Share this page using:
Note: All information on KidsHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.