What Other Parents Are Reading
LSD: What Parents Need to Know
What It Is:
LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) is a hallucinogenic drug. Hallucinogens change the way people sense the world around them.
LSD is odorless, colorless, and tasteless. It can be painted onto small squares of paper that people lick or swallow.
|Sometimes Called:||acid, sugar cubes, white lightning, dose, tripping, blotter|
|How It's Used:||LSD is on paper that is licked or swallowed. Capsules and liquids are also swallowed.|
|What It Does:||
LSD causes the senses of space, distance, and time to become altered. People say they "hear" colors or "see" sounds, and have strange feelings and strong emotions.
Many users refer to an "acid trip" — when the effects don't let up and can last for up to 12 hours at a time. LSD also can cause "bad trips" — when users experience panic, confusion, sadness, and scary images. Bad reactions can occur with the first use and a user may have flashbacks later, experiencing the feelings of a bad trip even after the drug wears off.
Because LSD also affects judgment and behavior, users might find themselves in a dangerous situation.
Physical changes include increased heart rate and blood pressure, muscle twitches and shaking, dilated pupils, sweating, sleeplessness, and loss of appetite.
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Date reviewed: January 2014
- Drugs: What Parents Need to Know
- Ecstasy: What Parents Need to Know
- Cocaine & Crack: What Parents Need to Know
- Talking to Your Child About Drugs
Share this page using:
Note: All information on KidsHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.