What Other Parents Are Reading
After you taste it, mango ketchup may be the only ketchup you'll want to have.
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. garlic, finely chopped
- 3 scallions, green parts only, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger
- ¼ tsp. chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp. garlic, finely chopped
- meat from 1 ripe mango, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. hot sauce made from Scotch bonnet peppers
- ½ tsp. salt
- Place a medium sautépan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, and let it get hot (about 1 minute).
- Add the onion, scallions, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring regularly, until the onion begins to soften (about 3 minutes).
- Add the cilantro, garlic, and mango, and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the lemon juice, hot sauce, and salt and stir to combine.
- Let the mixture cool slightly, then transfer to the bowl of a blender and pulse until just pureed, adding water 1 teaspoon at a time if necessary to facilitate blending.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and set aside.
Serving size: ¾ cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
1 g protein
1 g fat
318 mg sodium
14 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Use this delicious ketchup to top burgers, fish, and chicken dishes.
Reviewed by: Steven Dowshen, MD
Share this page using:
Note: All information on KidsHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.