What Other Parents Are Reading
A to Z: Botulism, Infant
May also be called: Botulism
Botulism (BAH-chu-lih-zum) is a rare but serious illness caused by poisons produced by Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Infant botulism happens when a baby ingests C. botulinum spores, which can grow in the digestive system and produce toxins.
More to Know
Clostridium botulinum is a naturally occurring bacterium that can be found in soil and dust. When C. botulinum infects a person, it produces toxins (poisons) that cause nerves to function abnormally, leading to weakness and paralysis.
Symptoms of botulism include double vision, blurred vision, drooping eyelids, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, dry mouth, and muscle weakness. In infants, symptoms include constipation, a flat facial expression, poor feeding, a weak cry, decreased movement, trouble swallowing, excessive drooling, muscle weakness, and breathing problems.
If not treated, botulism can cause respiratory failure, paralysis, and death. Botulism is usually treated in a hospital with an antitoxin that blocks the toxins produced by the bacteria. In some cases, ventilators may be used to help with breathing.
Keep in Mind
Botulism can be fatal, so anyone who shows signs of the disease should receive immediate medical attention. Fortunately, botulism is extremely rare, with about 145 cases reported in the United States each year. With proper treatment, most people recover fully from botulism, but this can take several weeks or months.
All A to Z dictionary entries are regularly reviewed by KidsHealth medical experts.
- A to Z: Botulism
- A to Z: Botulism, Wound
- Infant Botulism
- Pregnancy & Newborn Center
- Food Safety for Your Family
- Can I Feed My Baby Honey?
- Feeding Your Newborn
- A to Z: Botulism, Foodborne
- Feeding Your 1- to 3-Month-Old
- Feeding Your 4- to 7-Month-Old
- Formula Feeding FAQs: Preparation and Storage
Share this page using:
Note: All information on KidsHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.