What Other Kids Are Reading
Tropical Ball of Cheese
This recipe is especially for kids who must avoid foods that contain gluten, a type of protein found in many foods.
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 8-oz. package of light cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz. light tropical fruit cocktail, drained
- 1 c. walnuts, chopped
- knife (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- Cut tropical fruit into smaller pieces.
- Combine softened cream cheese, fruit, and ½ c. walnuts.
- Chill well in refrigerator.
- Mold into a ball and roll cheese in remaining ½ c. of nuts.
Serving size: ¼ c.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
4 g protein
11 g fat
3 g sat. fat
4 g carbohydrate
1 g fiber
12 mg cholesterol
87 mg sodium
38 mg calcium
0.5 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Serve with carrots, celery, and/or gluten-free crackers. You can cut calories even further by using fat-free cream cheese.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012
Note: All information on KidsHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.