What Other Kids Are Reading
Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This great appetizer or snack can easily be frozen into individual servings that can be reheated at a later time.
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound pork sausage, raw
- ¾ cup all purpose baking mix
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup onion, chopped finely
- oven (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- measuring cup
- knife (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Form mixture into 1-inch (2½-centimeter) balls.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Center temperature of the sausage balls must be at least 165°F (73°C).
Serving size: 3 sausage balls
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
11 g protein
18 g fat
485 mg sodium
168 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
This dish can easily be frozen before or after you cook it. Make some today and freeze half of the batch to serve at a later date.
Reviewed by: Rupal Christine Gupta, MD
Note: All information on KidsHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.