What Other Kids Are Reading
Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This easy side dish tastes great when served with turkey, chicken, or beef.
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup mashed potato flakes
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- microwave-safe bowl
- mixing spoon
- microwave (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- Combine water, heavy cream, salt, and butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high setting for approximately 2 minutes. (All microwaves vary and heating times may need to be adjusted.)
- Remove from microwave.
- Stir in potato flakes to moisten.
- Add sour cream and mix well.
Serving size: ½ cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
2 g protein
42 g fat
460 mg sodium
33 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Add cheese or gravy to the recipe for even more calories.
Reviewed by: Rupal Christine Gupta, MD
Note: All information on KidsHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.