Turkey Meatloaf Sandwiches
Prep time: 30-40 minutes
Bake time: 50 minutes, plus 10 minutes or more to cool down
Recipe makes: 8 servings
- ½ onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- ½ cup minced parsley
- 1½ lbs. ground turkey
- ½ cup canned tomato sauce, sodium free
- ¼ cup egg substitute
- ¼ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ cup low-sodium ketchup
- Salt substitute and pepper
- Small whole-wheat pitas for sandwiches (or regular size pitas cut in half)
Equipment and supplies:
- Knives and cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Large skillet
- Loaf pan for baking (2 loaf pans if doubling the recipe)
- Cooking spray
- Large bowl for mixing
- Aluminum foil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). Spray the loaf pan (or pans) with cooking spray.
- Coat skillet with cooking spray and put it on the stove over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and garlic. Stir for 10 minutes until the vegetables have softened. Take the pan off the heat and let the vegetables cool.
- When the vegetables are cool, remove and throw away the garlic clove. Add the minced parsley and stir.
- In a large bowl, combine the vegetable mixture with the ground turkey, tomato sauce, egg substitute, and breadcrumbs. Mix well, then pack firmly into the greased loaf pan. Top with the ketchup.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes.
- When the meatloaf has finished baking, remove it from the oven and cover with aluminum foil. Let stand for 10 minutes. If you're eating the meatloaf for dinner, cut it into 8 slices and serve warm.
- If you're making the meatloaf just for sandwiches, let it cool completely before slicing. Put a slice of meatloaf into a small pita and enjoy!
- About TeensHealth
- Reading BrightStart!
- Contact Us
- Editorial Policy
Note: All information on TeensHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com