What Other Parents Are Reading
Mealtime Makeover: Chicken Fingers
Use boneless, skinless chicken with high-fiber cereal and an egg substitute to make a healthier version of this favorite kids' meal. You can make it in batches and freeze it for reheating for future meals. It goes great with a cup of skim milk and cut-up veggies.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 4-oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, rinsed, patted dry, and sliced into strips or 4 1-oz. boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- ¼ c. egg substitute or skim milk
- 1/3 c. flaked, high-fiber cereal, crushed
- 3 oz. cooked chicken fingers, typical fast food preparation
- Preheat oven to 350º F (176º C).
- Dip chicken strips into egg substitute or skim milk.
- Roll dipped chicken in high-fiber cereal to coat.
- Place coated strips on non-stick baking sheet.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, turning after 9 minutes, until chicken is done (white, not pink, inside).
Serving size: 1 chicken breast
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
|This Recipe||Traditional Recipe|
|227 calories||255 calories|
|30 g protein||15 g protein|
|3 g fat||15 g fat|
|0.8 g sat. fat||3 g sat. fat|
|20 g carbohydrate||15 g carbohydrate|
|8 g fiber||0 g fiber|
|75 mg cholesterol||75 mg cholesterol|
|239 mg sodium||670 mg sodium|
|44 mg calcium||2 mg calcium|
|10 mg iron||4 mg iron|
|185 mcg folic acid||n/a mcg folic acid|
Note: Analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
- Mealtime Makeover: Grilled Cheese
- Mealtime Makeover: Mac and Cheese
- Mealtime Makeover: Whole-Wheat Pizza
- Cooking With School-Age Kids
- Nutrition & Fitness Center
- Healthy Eating
Note: All information on KidsHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com