What Other Parents Are Reading
Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids and teens with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This dish is packed with calories and can be served as a meal or with vegetables.
Prep time: 45 minutes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup onion, diced
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup beef gravy
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 cup high-calorie mashed potatoes, prepared
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (176ºC).
- Heat skillet and add 1 teaspoon oil. Add mushrooms, garlic, and onions and sauté until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to bowl.
- Cook beef until brown in skillet over medium heat, approximately 8 minutes.
- Add flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add sauteed vegetable mixture, gravy, carrot, Worcestershire, and marjoram..
- Simmer for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon beef mixture into a small baking dish or two oven-safe bowls.
- Spoon mashed potatoes over top of beef mixture.
- Bake until heated through and golden brown, approximately 25 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Serving size: 1-1/4 cups
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 922 calories
- 34 g protein
- 72 g fat
- 931 mg sodium
- 111 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
- About KidsHealth
- Reading BrightStart!
- Contact Us
- Editorial Policy
Note: All information on KidsHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com