What Other Kids Are Reading
Balsamic Tomato Chicken and Pasta
Note: This recipe is especially for kids with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
Your taste buds will really enjoy this flavorful, lactose-free pasta dish. Serve with a side of garlic bread and your favorite vegetable.
Prep time: 45 minutes
- 18 ounces chicken breast, cut into small pieces (½" square)
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces) of diced tomato
- 1½ cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- cooking spray
- 3-1/3 cups cooked pasta
- kitchen scissors (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- stove (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- measuring cup
- measuring spoons
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sauté onion, garlic and mushrooms in large skillet for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Add raw chicken pieces to large skillet with onions, garlic, and mushrooms.
- Cook chicken over medium high heat until no longer pink.
- Once chicken is cooked, add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, and dried herbs to the chicken mixture.
- Mix together well and simmer over medium low heat for 20 minutes.
- Toss 1 cup of sauce with 2/3 cup of cooked pasta for each serving.
Serving size: 1 cup of sauce with 2/3 cup of cooked pasta
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
37 g protein
4 g fat
64 g carbohydrate
3 g fiber
125 mg cholesterol
552 mg sodium
88 mg calcium
6.4 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
- Use low-sodium canned tomatoes and tomato paste to decrease the amount of sodium.
- Add soy cheeses, such as mozzarella or parmesan.
- If you want a thicker sauce, add more tomato paste.
- If you want a thinner sauce, use less tomato paste.
- About KidsHealth
- Reading BrightStart!
- Contact Us
- Editorial Policy
Note: All information on KidsHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com