What Other Kids Are Reading
Cocoa, Almond, and Oat Clusters
Note: If you try this recipe, get a grownup's help because it requires using the stove.
Prep time: 25 minutes
What you need:
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup fat-free milk
- 4 tablespoons yogurt spread (also can use vegetable oil spread)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup smooth, unsalted almond butter (or other nut or soy butter)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup raisins
Equipment and supplies:
- Baking sheet
- Wax paper
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium saucepan
- Measuring spoons
What to do:
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside.
- Place oats into a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk and yogurt spread over medium heat.
- When the spread is melted, whisk in brown sugar and cocoa powder.
- Keep stirring while you bring the mixture to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and continue cooking the sauce for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in almond butter, vanilla extract, and raisins.
- Immediately pour the sauce over the rolled oats and stir well until oats are completely covered in sauce.
- Place rounded tablespoon-size scoops of the mixture onto prepared baking sheet.
- Allow clusters to set for 15 minutes before serving.
How much does this recipe make?
- About KidsHealth
- Reading BrightStart!
- Contact Us
- Editorial Policy
Note: All information on KidsHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com