What Other Kids Are Reading
Southern-Style Beef Pie
Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
Enjoy this dish alone or with vegetables on the side. This high-calorie meal tastes even better the next day.
Prep time: 75 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound ground beef
- 16-ounce can red kidney beans, drained
- 14½-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8½-ounce box cornbread mix
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 8½-ounce can creamed corn
- oven (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- stove (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- 2-quart casserole dish
- mixing bowl
- mixing spoons
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- In medium skillet, sauté onion and garlic in vegetable oil over medium heat. Cook about 10 minutes until tender, but not brown.
- Add cumin, chili powder, cocoa, and cinnamon to skillet.
- Add ground beef and cook at medium high heat. Cook meat until browned.
- Add red kidney beans and tomatoes to meat mixture and remove from heat.
- Spoon beef mixture into a greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Spread shredded cheddar cheese on top of meat.
- In a separate bowl, mix cornbread mix, milk, egg, sour cream, and creamed corn together.
- Pour cornbread batter over top of meat and cheese. Spread batter evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until top of cornbread is golden brown.
Serving size: 1¼ cups
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
33 g protein
46 g fat
1162 mg sodium
370 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
You can cut this recipe in half and make cornbread muffins with the leftover batter.
- About KidsHealth
- Reading BrightStart!
- Contact Us
- Editorial Policy
Note: All information on KidsHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com