What Other Kids Are Reading
Prep time: about 20 minutes
- ¾ c. flour
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. margarine
- 1 egg
- ¾ c. milk
- ½ c. blueberries, washed and drained
- extra margarine for the pan
- stove (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- large bowl
- mixing spoon
- medium-size bowl
- measuring cups and spoons
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set the bowl aside.
- Melt the margarine in a small saucepan.
- Crack the egg into a medium-size bowl, then add the milk and melted margarine.
- Whisk egg mixture until it is well mixed.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Whisk again until both mixtures are blended together.
- Put extra margarine in the saucepan and heat it on the stovetop on medium heat. It is hot enough when the margarine starts to bubble.
- Use a measuring cup or a small ladle to spoon the batter into the pan. Put some blueberries on top of each pancake.
- Cook your pancakes on medium heat until small bubbles appear on the top.
- Use a spatula to see when your pancakes are light brown on the bottom. When they are, flip them over with the spatula.
- Cook for another few minutes until the pancakes are light brown on the other side.
- Remove your pancakes and put them on plates to enjoy!
Serving size: 3 or 4 medium pancakes
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
11 g protein
9 g fat
52 g carbohydrate
3 g fiber
108 mg cholesterol
915 mg sodium
270 mg calcium
2.8 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Eat your pancakes with powdered sugar, cinnamon, maple syrup, jelly, or fruit on top.
- About KidsHealth
- Reading BrightStart!
- Contact Us
- Editorial Policy
Note: All information on KidsHealth® is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com